Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Leftovers

Today's recipe was inspired by the fact that I have some Pearl Tomatoes and Cilantro in my fridge that need to be used today. I also tend to keep cans of beans and frozen corn in my kitchen to quickly toss in any variety of dishes like salads and quinoa.  I now present to you...


 Lazy Girl's Corn and Black Bean Salad (serves 4)
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
2 tbsps olive oil
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp white sugar
1/2 tsp black pepper (ground)
1/2 tsp ground cumin
12 tsp old bay seasoning or chili pepper
3 tbsps fresh cilantro (chopped) 
15 Pearl Tomatoes or 3 regular tomatoes
1 can black beans (rinsed and drained)
1/2 bag frozen sweet corn (drained) 


The whole thing takes 15-20 minutes to prepare and then you let it sit overnight.


 Mix together the balsamic vinegar, olive oil, salt, white sugar, black pepper, ground cumin and old bay seasoning.

Next add the chopped cilantro. Then chop and add your tomatoes. I would go ahead and give it a good mix now so you can start to cover everything.

Next drain and rinse your beans and add them to the mix and finally add your corn. You are free to change the proportions of everything.

Add more corn if you want more corn, I pretty certain I added alot more than 3 tbsps of cilantro because I love cilantro. If you hate cilantro then skip it. Just make sure if you are subtracting something that you replace it with more of another ingredient. Or add a new ingredient. I'm sure some red peppers might taste nice. That's the great part about cooking. You can fly by the seat of your pants and experiment with what you like. And the best part it it is totally vegan.

No comments: