Thursday, July 12, 2012

Biking and Cabbage

Today I decided to be a little adventurous. Had my super awesome breakfast and then decided I must go to Ikea. I didn't really have a lot I wanted to buy from Ikea but I love going there and wandering around. I also decided I should try biking there. I've ridden a bike before but not as my get from Point A to Point B transportation. I've also never ridden in the street before. I hate to say it but I think the last time I rode a bike outside was when I lived in Houston and it was legal to ride on sidewalks. I was extremely cautious about this whole experience. I wore a helmet the entire time and did a quick test run around the neighborhood. I also didn't make any left turns. Next thing I knew I had my backpack on and I was off. It wasn't bad. I was either on back streets in neighborhoods or in a well marked bicycle lane. When I did get over to Ikea the last little stretch was a hill next to a freeway. I decided I walk that. I wouldn't want my legs to give out on me on my way up.


It doesn't look that steep in the picture but it was enough to make me nervous. So I walked over the hill and explored Ikea and the mall on the other side.



 I even found a cute little bakery but alas, no vegan baked goods. Don't worry. I'm making these soon. I've found some great stuff on the internet I want to experiment with.


After I got home I was starving so I whipped up what I like to call the Everything but the Kitchen Sink Stir-Fry. It consisted of some carrots, some broccoli stalks, cabbage, cucumbers, tofu, kelp noodles, seaweed, pickled ginger, soy sauce, rice vinegar and sesame oil. I don't really have a recipe. I just took everything I had leftover in the fridge and used it.

The tofu takes a bit of time for preparation. I had bought the tofu yesterday and so I took it out of the container and the water and then set it on a plate. I found another moderately heavy plate and put that on top. That helps to drain the water out. After dinner I dumped off the water and cut the tofu into strips and on very low heat I browned the strips in a non-stick pan. Don't use any oil because the tofu will absorb that. I kept turning them a lot so they wouldn't stick or nudging them around the pan.




 I heated up some sesame oil in a pan, sauteed the cabbage, carrots, broccoli, and cucumbers. Next I added the seaweed, kelp noodles, soy sauce, pickled ginger, rice vinegar and tofu.


The pickled ginger totally made it for me. It is not a pretty dish but it was tasty and hit the spot.

 Next I want to start experimenting with Ethiopian food.

No comments: