Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Favorite Meal of the Day

BREAKFAST!!!!! Greatest meal of the day and the most important. I've always been a big breakfast person, even before trying to be a vegan. I love pancakes, french toast, bacon, eggs, breakfast sandwiches, eggs benedict, crepes etc. I love brunching with friends outside in the sunshine with a crisp bellini. Just try to stop me. So since I decided to go vegan I knew I had to find a way to start my day off right. It's nothing fancy, doesn't take a lot of time to prepare but it fills me up and keeps me going.




It's just Grape-nuts mixed with Granola, then I add fruit on top(I usually do a peach and some strawberries). Lastly I finish it off by pouring some soy milk or coconut milk or whatever milk I'm drinking that week over it. Recently I decided to make my cereal even better by adding a spoonful of Sunflower Seed Butter and a tablespoon of Chia Seeds. I'll get a picture of that soon. I really like Chia Seeds because they form a gel around the shell when wet and act like tapioca. I personally prefer the taste of Sunflower Seed Butter over Peanut Butter though I don't know much yet about the different health benefits of both.

I also heat up in a pot on the stove a combination of 3 parts Coconut Milk and 1 part Almond milk and add it to espresso for a vegan latte. And since the Coconut Milk and Almond Milk are already sweet, I don't need to add sugar. Some people do all Almond Milk or Soy Milk. Soy Milk keeps burning the bottom of my pan so I stopped using that. You can also microwave it. Needless to say I have a decadent coffee drink in the morning. I can't help it. I need coffee in the morning and I didn't want to give it up and this is a really tasty alternative.

No comments: