Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Say What?!?! Seitan!!!!

I decided to venture into the world of homemade seitan. I love seitan and I get it as a meat substitute in restaurants all the time but I have never used it at home. Well, I decided to do a little research and found out that while it is time consuming to make (1-2 hours), it is super simple to make. All you need is

1 cup Vital Wheat Gluten Flour (I used Bob's Red Mill, a company that is becoming a regular in my pantry.)
3/4 cup Better than Bouillon No Chicken Vegan Base (or any veggie broth.)
2 tbsp Soy Sauce

 
Mix the broth and the soy sauce together then add them to your flour and mix until you have a ball.


Next bring

6 cups Better than Bouillon No Chicken Vegan Base

to a boil. Once it is boiling, cut the heat back to simmer.


Knead your ball of Gluten for 10-15 minutes. It's a nice little workout. After you knead it, let it rest for 5 minutes.


Next, you'll want to knead it for another 5 minutes and then start chopping it into pieces. I would cut off a bit, then flatten it down to make it thinner.


I put each of the pieces into the broth. Once I was done with that, I watched the movie 27 Dresses. So super cute. I love James Marsden and Katherine Heigl. I'm a sucker for this stuff.

Fast forward 2 hours and I have something delicious.

You can still taste the bready undertones but it has a great texture and it chews like chicken would. I even think my boyfriend might like it and he's pretty committed to his meat. I definitely ate a few pieces before putting it away in my fridge to save for Chicken Mole. You'll want to either freeze it or store it up to 5 days in an airtight container with its own broth in the fridge. It does take some time to make but it is definitely cheaper than the store bought seitan and tastes just as good. Now its time to have some Vegan Vegetable Eggrolls from Trader Joe's. Yum!

 

No comments: