Wednesday, July 4, 2012

French Toast Fail

Every Saturday morning my boyfriend and I make French Toast. We've been doing this for about 7 months now so when I decided to try being vegan we actually had a conversation about french toast. At first I said I would just eat oatmeal and he could still make his french toast. Then I found an simple recipe to make vegan french toast and he said he would try it. So here it is-

1 banana
1 cup coconut or almond milk
1 Blender
6 slice of bread (we used 3 vegan nut bread slices for me and 3 classic white bread slices for him)



















We put the banana and the coconut milk in the blender and pureed it until it had the same consistency as normal french toast batter. You are free to add more or less of either one depending on your personal taste.












Now the hard part. We set the burner on medium low and adjusted from there as needed. When you lay down the bread on the pan make sure you give it time to brown on the bottom without burning it. I am a premature flipper and would lose half the banana batter on the pan. 












I personally like the nut bread because it has more structural integrity. The white bread acts like a sponge and sucks up everything and you have to be very careful not to destroy it. My boyfriend also didn't like the fact that the middle stays a little soggy. He wants it completely dry all the way through. I don't mind the moisture. Even with normal french toast I think he tends to overcook it to the point of it being like dry toast. 












So in an attempt to fix the soggy bread dilemma for my boyfriend, we decided to improvise and make the batter thicker by adding flour. I don't know why but we thought this would keep the white bread from absorbing as much of the batter but it didn't. This was flawed logic. The flour ruins the taste in my opinion and doesn't help at all. In fact the middle was soggier. Before it tasted like banana bread. Now it tasted like flour. I think my boyfriend liked the flour. It was hard to tell. It didn't fix the soggy middle. Kudos to my boyfriend for trying something vegan with me. I personally like the original recipe of just banana and coconut milk. My boyfriend needs his eggs. 

No comments: